It is immensely unfortunate to be the victim of a hit and run accident. The other driver intentionally flees the scene of the accident, and fails to provide you, the victim, with any contact information. You may be left injured, your property damaged, or both, and feeling like there is nowhere to turn. When you are involved in a hit and run accident in Oxnard, you should turn to an Oxnard car crash attorney to help you with your auto accident and personal injury claims.
Important Hit and Run Statistics
Hit and run accidents comprise a major issue that affects public safety. Reviewing some statistics on hit and run cases illustrates what a serious issue it is.
- – According to a fact sheet produced by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, nearly 11 percent of all police reports involve a hit and run accident, and nearly 1,500 people die in these types of injuries annually.
- – According to the U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), nearly 20 percent of accidents involving pedestrians are hit and run.
- – In 2011, according to the California Office of Traffic Safety California’s Annual Performance Report for 2013, there were 251 hit and run fatalities, and 18,789 hit and run injuries reported across California.
- – Ventura County. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety regarding hit and run accident data for Ventura County, in 2012 there were 259 hit and run accidents.
- – According to the California Office of Traffic Safety regarding Oxnard hit and run accident data, in 2012 there were 117 hit and run accidents.
Obtaining Compensation for A Hit And Run Accident
Hit and run accidents involve situations where a victim or his or her vehicle, is struck by the vehicle of another, but then the other driver flees the scene. These types of accidents can be particularly frustrating because if you are unable to identify the other driver, either by observing the make and model of their vehicle, getting their license plate number, or being fortunate enough to locate an eyewitness who can provide identifying information about the other driver, it might seem like there is no one to hold accountable for your damages and your injuries.
But this is not true. As a victim of a hit and run, you may be eligible to make an uninsured motorist claim against your automobile insurance provider, in accordance with California’s uninsured motorist statute. In order to be eligible to make an uninsured motorist claim for a hit and run accident:
- – Uninsured motorist claims for hit and run accidents must include evidence of physical contact between the insured, or insured’s vehicle, and the hit and run vehicle, in accordance with Insurance Code Section 11580.2(b)(1).
A car crash lawyer in Oxnard can help you determine whether your hit and run case meets the requirements for an uninsured motorist claim, and can help you seek the compensation that you need for your personal injuries and property damage after a hit and run car crash.
Contact a Car Crash Attorney In Oxnard
If you or a loved one is involved in a hit and run accident and suffered a personal injury in Oxnard, the Oxnard car accident attorneys of the Quirk Law Firm, LLP can help. Our team of car crash attorneys has been helping injured individuals with their car accident cases and personal injury claims for many years. Contact us today at (805) 650-7778.
This Blog Was Provided By:
Ventura, California 93003